Sunday, November 4, 2018

Crisp and clean, white and bright

You would think I would run out of closets to paint, but nope....   

When I move into a house, there are a couple things I do as soon as possible. 

Cleaning the bathroom and kitchen are high on the list, of course, but the carpets and closets are extremely important for me to do soon after the health issues are addressed. 

Dull, drab, dark, and dreary
Nice, bright, white, and welcoming
#1 - CARPETS

I like to be as chemical free as possible but I want the carpets in a new-to-me home cleaned professionally.   After that, unless unavoidable, I like to use minimal chemicals and do them myself.

#2 - CLOSETS

Every single closet in my house will be painted a semi gloss white, two coats, before I put a single thing in them.

I usually find them scuffed and painted the same color as the closest room in an eggshell finish, or worse, flat paint.  I repaint them even if I don't plan to repaint the room for several reasons, and not one of those reasons is because  they smell like someone else's stinky shoes.

Upside:
  • The closets will be as bright as possible because the white sheen reflects every ounce of light it can, making it easier to see things.  Its seldom that a closet has enough light.  
  • The inside of the closet will always compliment/coordinate with the room paint, no matter what or how many times its repainted.
  • Two coats of semi gloss allows for years and years of cleaning without wearing the paint off.
  • I have yet to see a closet I've done this to that needed to be painted before I list a house.


Downside:

  • Painting a pantry or closets with a lot of shelving is a maneuvering challenge and I get a bit sore if I do too much all at once.
  • It slows the unpacking process.  I allow at least a week for thorough curing after second coat before putting things on shelves because, sometimes, semi gloss can remain a bit tacky for a while.  I do, however, go ahead and hang clothes in the painted closets a couple days after the second coat....  the shelves need the extra time to cure but the walls dry within a few hours... check your can.


As I do my round robin of first and second coats in the closets around the house, I can be painting rooms, cleaning, washing windows, unpacking the kitchen cabinets, bathrooms, arrange furniture, etc while the closets are either waiting to be painted or curing. 

My process is to start with the pantry and bathroom closets, first coat.  Then I may do a second coat on pantry and first coat on master closet, because I want my pantry as soon as possible and those shelves need extra drying time.   Next, maybe second coat on bathroom and first coat on second bedroom.   This order works for me but you will have to decide what closets are most important to you and start there.

I also put a sticky note inside the door with the date the second coat went on, just to help me remember.

I have never EVER been sorry I took the time to paint my closets before filling them.  It might slow the unpacking process but I have not seen many people empty a closet once its filled so whatever color it is, it stays.  I don't mind the color staying forever, I just want it to be white.

Note that the comparison photos were both taken at approximately the same time of the day with the hallway and interior light on.

No doubt, its a lot of work at an inconvenient time and, again, slows the unpacking process, but try one closet and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment