Monday, July 1, 2019

Those self imposed rules and regulations

Its funny how our individual brains work and how we develop our own processes for solving problems.  Some people go directly for the endgame and some consider alternate options based on urgency, time, finances, skill, difficulty, etc.  I actually enjoy the challenge of finding a way to complete a project with things on hand, although I seldom manage it.  And, being a Libra, I must also add the "contemplation"  to my list of things to consider.

The functional reason for saving is that I will need it.
What makes it really fun is finding alternate uses for the stuff I've collected.  The explanation for the "alternate use" excitement is perhaps heredity.

Being one in a long line of collectors, I come by saving odd things legitimately.  Some stuff I save for a while and some I keep long term.  The "while" stuff gets weeded out every now and then but the stuff  I deem INTERESTING makes it into the "long term" save.

My brother once created a front grill for a Subaru Outback out of round chrome rods from a shelving unit.  You will have to trust me that it was amazing because, unfortunately, I can not find the photo anywhere.  If I DO find it, I will add it.

Back to me...

My home in Tucson, AZ has 2 skylights.   The original purchaser of said skylights saved a few bucks and did not get skylight that protect from UV so, theoretically, I could stand in my bathroom and get a sunburn. That's not cool.   Plus, the skylight space (inside the house) is usually pretty warm...  ok, its AZ and  I will be honest... it can get downright HOT.

The practical part of me will not let me install new skylights because
#1 - I will NOT mess with a hole in the roof that is not currently leaking and
#2 - said skylights are not broken (see #1).

Now what?  One simply can not have a sunburn on their head... it hurts.

So I walk my property... peruse my materials....  and think...  and plot...

I have established that the ultimate goal is to gain protection from that big yellow ball in the sky (heat and effects of UV) and solution must be secure through rain and wind.   And whatever I do, at least part of the supplies MUST already be owned (somehow, this has become an unwritten and unbreakable LAW for all my projects).

Two days.....   I pondered for 2 days.

I am ready.  I gather supplies and work through the process in my head, making adjustments to the planned process.  I am already aware that this solution will be temporary but as we are well into the hot season, I am PERFECTLY ok with that.  Plus, maybe the "temporary" may be a longer period than I think.

I am fully aware that this project is not rocket science, difficult, or even much out of the box.  What I feel is important is that I appreciate and am thankful that I have the supplies, the knowledge, and the ability to find and safely execute a solution.

The wood and sunshade are left from other projects.  And who doesn't own an electric staple gun and jigsaw?  Note that I love this sunshade and have used it in many many projects, including temporary shading for newly installed plants.

I anchor my extension cord so it wont slide off the roof, put my phone in my back pocket, and safely set the ladder.  I will not confirm or deny that these three items were reinforced with lessons hard learned.

I admit that the end result is not pretty but is it functional?  YES.   Absolutely YES!!  And who sees the back side of my roof anyway?

Note that I tested one skylight opening inside the house on four days with similar interior and exterior temperatures (two test days before installation and two test days after).


  • The shade structure substantially reduced the temperature inside the skylight tunnel by 8-10 degrees during the hottest part of the day. 
  • The manufacturer of the sunshade claims protection from 80-90% UV rays.
  • The frame of the fashioned sunshade is cut to fit securely under the edge of the skylight's aluminum frame but is not attached to roof or skylight (see reference to leaking holes in roof and broken skylights above).


I am happy.  Very happy.  All goals have been met.  And even though all items were basically used for the purpose they were intended, I still feel good about the solution.

The second skylight was treated to the same process a week later.     A review of both skylight shades after another week confirmed everything is as it should be.



Again, I am very pleased with the results. 

And yes, you may note that this is a new home.  Its been a busy busy and very complicated year for me.

And while on the roof, I sat for a moment and took time to reflect on my gifts...  to enjoy the mountains...  to absorb the peace...  And silently thank God for it all.