Thursday, November 21, 2013

Its Time to Tie One On

After spending some time with the cousins recently, I was thinking a lot about what family really is to me. I think we can all agree that everyone thinks of family as those we are related to by blood/marriage. And I get that.

Most people do not doubt that it can also be more than that... there are people in our lives that "are just like family". But I don't know that I have ever specifically searched for the definition of family. They say it takes a village to raise a child. After reading some of the definitions offered on several sites, my take-away is that it is pretty much anyone who has a commonality with you. It can be those with a common residence, common blood, common ancestry, common race, or those united by common convictions. Thus, the whole village IS a family with the commonality of raising said child.

Boy, I have worked way too hard to claim some unrelated by blood as family. Color me surprised to find that it is so much easier than that. The definitions do not specify the # of commonalities required... so I could surmise that 1 would do it. But I can admit there are those related by blood or other commonalities that I would just as rather NOT claim them as family - and I am sure there are others that would not wish to claim them either. Did the village family let them down? Or did they leave the village before they were raised? I can, and have, gone back and forth on this issue.

But in the meantime, who do I need to call to tattle on the naughtiest of them? I mean, finger pointing and yelling, "Hey, they aren't playing nice!" doesn't seem to work? I have been taught that it will all work out when we pass through our family's big pearly gates to see the Big Guy. But it sure makes it tough to read the news or watch the news while certain parts of the family are still hanging around down here and getting into mischief. However, there is no reason that we should let them completely spoil our day!!

TIE ONE ON DAY™ Give from the heart on Wednesday – then give thanks on Thursday. This Thanksgiving Eve, Tie One On (an apron of course!) and bring joy to the life of someone in need.

Participation is easy and uplifting. Simply wrap a loaf of bread or baked good in an apron and tuck an encouraging note or prayer into the pocket; then present your offering to a neighbor, friend or person in your community who

“Women clad in aprons have traditionally prepared the Thanksgiving meal, and it is within our historical linkage to share our bounty.” EllynAnne Geisel

Coincidently, one of my favorite movies is Pay It Forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment