Saturday, February 1, 2014

Paying it forward

I don't know if you have seen the movie "Pay it Forward" (see trailer HERE) but I just fell in love with the idea of courtesy and human compassion making a comeback. 

One could do random acts of kindness (RAK) but I think its bigger than that.  I think we have to retrain our minds, our attitudes, and our life's pace to appreciate doing good for the sake of doing good.  RAKs feel good to the doer, the receiver, and anyone that is told about the aforementioned RAK. 

I have been the recipient of RAKs and I floated on it for several days.  I like giving that feeling to others...  but I will admit that I can fall back into my selfish and self centered ways fairly quickly.  I can have little spurts of good-deed-doing but its not a way of life.  I need reminders...  For everything.  I have even forgotten my own birthday until someone mentioned it to me ON THE DAY.  sheesh.

Recently, a 'thing' was going around on Facebook, as follows, and of course I got involved:
Bigger and Better......round 1! To start this year off in a loving way, I'm participating in this Pay It Forward initiative: the first five people that comment on this status with "I'm in", will receive a surprise from me at some point in this calendar year - anything from products, a voucher, a visit, something homegrown or handmade, a postcard, - absolutely any surprise!

There will be no warning and it will happen when the mood comes over me and I will find something I believe will suit you and make you happy.

These five people must make the same offer in their FB status and distribute their own joy! Simple copy this text onto your own profile (don't 'share') so we can create a web of connection and kindness.

Let's do more nice and loving things for each other in 2014 without any reason other than to make each other smile and to show that we think of each other. Here's to a more enjoyable, more friendly and love-filled year.


While its not the ideal way to do this....  Its enforced and one does...  and one gets... It is a reminder to me.   I surprise 5 someones with a (not so random) RAK 4 times this year,  and 1 someone RAKs me 4 times this year.  Its not the perfect RAK system but its better than nothing.  I have received 1 RAK and I have given 1 someone a RAK with 4 left to go in the first round.

Again, not the perfect system but you can't change a bad habit overnight....  plus,  I can admit that I am excited to do the adult equivalent of leaving a gift, ringing the doorbell, and running. 

I challenge you to pay forward a RAK, favor, or courtesy that someone has shown you in the past.  Make this week better for you....  and the recipient(s) of your 'pay it forward' deeds.   Let me know what you did...  or maybe the recipient's response to what you did.  Remember that it doesn't have to be big, but it WILL be big to the recipient.



No comments:

Post a Comment