Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Why do I do this to myself?

I just can't leave well enough alone....

Hubby will need to have surgery on his shoulder at some point in the future.  In the meantime, he is to wear a sling to support his arm and, mostly, to remind him to NOT use the arm for most applications.  

These slings are ugly things...  but why not?  They are supposed to be medical appliances, not fashion statements.  Ours, left from a previous should surgery, is washable, making it somewhat acceptable
because you can not wear one for long without getting it dirty or spilling something on it.



At the end of the day, it serves its purpose and is durable...  as long as it can be laundered every now and then.

Fast forward to hubby needing to attend an event end of this week.   And event requiring a suit....   and a sling....  an ugly sling.

As he is strategically placing the sling to wear on the plane tomorrow, the blinding light I saw was something to behold as an idea formed in my head.  

What if I covered this ugly sling with something more appropriate?
I mean, its not your basic black... 
Its not fun... 
Its not stylish...
Its just... well, its ugly.

But hubby is leaving tomorrow on a super early flight... did I say tomorrow?... super early!!

Why do I do this to myself?  Why, oh why?  I have plenty of other things to do today.  Its not like I am spending the day languidly lying on a chaise lounge, watching soap operas, eating bonbons, and sipping champagne.

But I forged ahead anyway... 

Its kinda ugly, I mentioned.  Would he like it covered with something nicer, I asked. 

And of course, he responds with "YES".  He did not respond with "Do you have time?"  "Will it be hard?" or "Don't spend the day doing that for me!"  

To be honest, even if he had, I would have done it.  I am stubborn/crazy/self-torturing like that.

We discussed options for a covering....  black?  something appropriate for the event?  something fireman related?  something fun?    H
e chose fun so we discussed subject matter.  Without hesitation, he said "Old cars."

So I peruse my stash, pulling car related fabrics for him to consider.   There was no hesitation...  the fabric was chosen and I went to work.

Without much time to shop, I knew I had to make do with what I had on hand.  An old black t-shirt and some doll supplies were used for the strap, and luckily, I had some black Velcro on hand.

Because it was ill constructed, it was easy to take apart and I figured it was easier to dismantle to use it for the pattern.  At this point, I decided it would be easier to just make another one from the pattern than to cover the existing one.
Bada bing, bada boom!!  A sling that makes a statement!!



It is finished and I am not only amused by it but pleased with the results.  There were a couple moments of panic but it ended up going together well.

And I put the original sling back together for him to wear until the event....  something to wear without worry of spilling on it or getting it dirty.  It's either the boy scout in me or the "mom" in me, I guess....  be prepared for probable outcomes.

Is there a market for cool custom arm slings?  I want to make another one with cats or dogs on it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment